HomeEasy RecipesSambai On Peuga-ga Recipe (Aceh Pennywort Sambal – Sambal Pegagan)April 12, 2012329ShareFacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppLinkedinReddItEmailPrintTelegramMixLINE
Sambai On Peuga-ga or can be translated as Aceh Style Pennywort Sambal or Sambal Pegagan Aceh in Indonesian. I was making this sambal for the first time in 2007 and fell in love with the taste.
As a long weekend approached us last week in Canada, I made two kinds of pennywort dish. One was from Indonesia, Aceh to be exact and Vietnam. You may hear the word Aceh before from the Tsunami that struck Indonesia in 2004 and the earthquake that was just happened 2 days ago. No further damage that I heard.
I learnt on how to make this Sambai On Peug-ga from some friends who are originated from Aceh. Now, I know where I can find pennyworth, I can make my own sambai on peuga-gan. According one friend this dish is just like Anyang in Acehnese and Minangese or Urap in Sundanese and Javanese. Another friend made this by adding chopped panuts and shrimp. But if you want to make it vegan just omit the shrimp. In this recipe, I added ground ebi (dried shrimp).
This recipe is also my participation for idfb #4 with theme “Indonesian Sambal”.
Sambai On Peuga-ga Recipe
Aceh Style Pennywort Sambal or Sambal Pegagan
50 grams pennywort, chopped
1/2 cup frozen grated coconut, thawed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ebi (optional)
1/8 teaspoon minced ginger
3 shallots, finely sliced
1 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 teaspoon ground lemongrass ready to use
3 green chillies (add more if you like spicy, or you also can substitute for red chilies), finely sliced
3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
1 – 2 asam sunti (asam sunti is an Acehnese spice to give a subtle sour taste, which is made from smoked or dried bilimbi)*
salt to taste
*If you can’t find any asam sunti for purchased, just substituting for bilimbi or lime juice.
Toast grated coconut, ground ebi, ground coriander until the coconut is golden brown. Combine all other ingredients and serve.
Check my other sambal posts:
- sambal terasi (sambal belacan),
- sambal lado mudo (green chili sambal),
- balado (sambal lado – chili sambal),
- sambal bawang (shallot sambal),
- sambal kemiri (candlenuts sambal),
- sambal tempe (tempeh sambal),
- sambal tumpang (old tempeh sambal),
- sambal pencok (long green bean sambal),
- sambal serai (lemongrass sambal),
- sambal matah (Balinese shallot and lemongrass sambal),
- sambal tomat (tomato sambal),
- sambal dabu-dabu (Manado sambal),
- sambal kecap petis,
- sambalandaliman etc .
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppLinkedinReddItEmailPrintTelegramMixLINEPrevious articlePennywort (Pegagan)Next articleVietnamese Pennywort Drink Recipe (Nuoc Rau Ma)Indonesia Eatshttps://indonesiaeats.comAn Indonesian-born who lived in Winnipeg Edmonton, Canada for more than a decade prior to move to Edmonton in 2017. Indonesia Eats is a memoir of her homeland.
- Vietnamese Pennywort Drink Recipe (Nuoc Rau Ma) | Indonesia Eats April 18, 2012 At 2:54 PM[…] This is another use of Pennywort in Southeast Asian cuisine, Nước Rau Má. On my previous post, I served pennywort for making Acehnese pennywort sambal, Sambai On Peuga-ga. […]Reply
- Susy April 23, 2012 At 10:51 AMduhh liat ini photo jadi pengen makan Urap…great job say…Reply
- Bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi) and Asam Sunti | Indonesia Eats July 24, 2012 At 3:38 AM[…] you have a curiosity what I have used asam sunti for, please check my post of Sambai On Peuga-ga (Pennywort Sambal), Payeh Bileh (Anchovies Wrapped in Banana Leaves), Gulai Ikan Kembung Aceh (Acehnese Mackerel […]Reply
- Bayhaqi July 31, 2012 At 2:35 AMEnaknya jika di taburkan ke dalam Bubur kanji. sangat cocok dimakan sebagai hidangan berbuka puasa.. * ngileringatnya 😀Reply
- Sambal Bajak Recipe | Indonesia Eats August 3, 2012 At 4:10 AM[…] Sambai On Peuga-ga etc . […]Reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
JOIN THE LIST
Sign up to get the latest recipes and updates
Indonesia Eats-November 25, 2019October 11, 2020December 28, 2019December 24, 2019December 19, 2019